I Use Firefox!

Monday, November 26, 2007

Mint is awesome.

Well I finally set up Mint, a clean, easy interface for your finances. It's pretty great. I did have to hack my online bank account to get all the security questions it needed, but once I got that out of the way it's a piece of cake. Mint shows you your account balances, spending history, alerts you to over budget spending, and even gives you ways you can save (or earn) money, by switching to another account or bank. One of my savings accounts isn't earning any interest at my current bank, so Mint suggested that I move it to a different bank with 5.01% APR interest! Pretty snazzy, I'd say. I'd love it if you could compare banks arbitrarily, but the different systems are probably closed and difficult for an independent company such as Mint to get into. Such is the world of banking.

There's your brief update for today. Have a great rest of the month! And if you use online banking, check out Mint today!

-Gilligan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still staying away from Mint for a while. 1) My dad will have a heart attack if I use it, which is why he bought me Quicken when he heard I was considering Mint. 2) I've read way too many articles from people who raise really valid points about Mint like . . . What happens when Mint gets bought out by someone with a less snazzy privacy policy? 3) My dad bought me Quicken, so I temporarily don't need Mint.

I'd still like to use my account, but for now, it's just a waste of someone's invite.

Gilligan said...

@Rachelskirts: All I can say is, I really hope it gets bought out by Google, i fit gets bought out at all. Of course, if the privacy policy ever were to change for the worse, at that point I'd immediately delete my account there. Can you hook Quicken into your online banking so you don't have to enter your transactions yourself? I'm not familiar with Quicken or Microsoft Money *shudder* or other financial software. Perhaps you or your dad could enlighten me.