I Use Firefox!

Monday, June 30, 2008

Spurgeon or no?

So, I've continued to read up in Spurgeon's Morning and Evening (generally in bursts every three or four days...) and I've found that the verses he's been using recently tend to be taken out of context more and more often, even though his comments and advice are good. So, I'm considering dropping the dead dude and just reading through a chapter of the Bible every day. Any good suggestions as to where I should start? Proverbs is always a good one, and it makes it real easy to pull one or two out and comment on them myself here, but they can get a little overwhelming with all the stuff packed into each chapter. My Dad's worked out (or is still working on) a daily reading schedule of the Bible, based of a chronological Bible, which means that you get through the whole Bible in a year, in roughly the same order that they think the events actually happened. I may start reading that once he's done with it.

Also, I took to playing a little bit of the CCG Magic, and when I mentioned it to Mom and Dad, Dad was like, "Well, that sounds very Wiccan to me, I'll do some research, but I'm trying to warn your soul." And of course he has good intentions, and I don't really support the game, except for the fact that Dave and I drove to Philly Saturday night to pick up 5000 common cards for $20 (we split them, I paid for gas and he paid for the cards). It's fun for sure. A bit of competition, a lot of strategy, and I get to play it at work sometimes if the boss is in a good mood. After all, he's the one that started it.

However, due to the nature of the game, and a combination of my research and my Dad's, and our gut feelings about it, I think I will get out of it and sell my cards back to the guys. I think I'll keep playing till the end of the summer though, cause it's a great thing to pass the time when there's nothing else to do. I think I'll also sell my Warhammer 40K stuffs and stick to the Paper and Pencil RPGs. Dad's still against D&D as a concept, but I'm gonna talk and see if I can't reason with him and pull in some Star Wars or Lord of the Rings parallels.

Stephe(trying,learning,living)

2 comments:

Gilligan said...

Also, I wonder if I've sounded like my Dad in the past. Obviously, that was a summation of an entire conversation in about three sentences, so it's not all that cut and dry, but I still wonder if I've tried to make things cut and dry that need a bit more conversation to be helpful.

Schmitty said...

As a random nerd reader of a random blog, I feel compelled to say something.
Some people think that playing card games at all is bad, that it's a path to Hell. For some people with gambling problems, it is. But there is nothing wrong with poker or go fish as games. It's just a game.
Magic the Gathering (I think that's what's being referred to) is not Wiccan unless there are Wiccans playing it. It's just in a fantasy world where magic is real, not a tool to get people trying to use magic. More or less like Harry Potter, some people might get drawn into Wicca through it but that is a personal weakness, not the game.
Tabletop games (D&D, Star Wars, LOTR or anything else) CAN be Satanic if you have a Satanic GM. It depends on the individual's problems or weaknesses; such games CAN be bad, but are not intrinsically so.
Ouija boards are intrinsically bad. MTG is no worse than poker. I thought that nerds had already proved to society that D&D does not make you a violent satanic psychopath? Maybe it's still an uphill battle. In any case, first-person shooters have evidence of negative influence, whereas tabletop games do not. Some people focus on the wrong issues, in my opinion.
Not that any of this would make a difference to your father.

:Random nerd reader. Forgive the intrusion.