I Use Firefox!

Thursday, March 04, 2010

An abbreviated conversation on versioning schemes

Background: I'm named after my father, so I've got the suffix "II" after my name, and I like it. I like it so much I'm going to name my first son after myself and my dad, making him the third. Here's a conversation (edited for clarity) I had with a friend about that.

Her: Here's an idea: When you get that son you want, instead of naming him III, make it a 3
Me: Or even better, make it a 3.0.
Her: Thaaaaat's a little too nerdy.
Me: It's better than making them minor releases until they're 18, i.e. 2.1, 2.2, 2.x, etc. until they reach 18, and then they're 3.0
Her: You can't keep changing his name, paperwork my word!
Me: Oh, for the government we'll keep it simple. We'll just give them the release number they can expect to use. i.e. v3. He's in development before then; the 2.x series is an internal versioning scheme.
Her: Then will 2.11 go on school records?
Me: Well he'll probably be home-schooled, so that won't be an issue. However, if we put him into public school his nickname will be "Beta". Wow I'm having too much fun with this.
Her: I WASH MY HANDS OF THIS IDEA. Please God, send him a sensible wife
Me: Well, hopefully I'll get a sensible, or equally nerdy, wife. Then we can joke about it behind his back. :-p
Her: ...that poor kid.

No comments: