I Use Firefox!

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Hurricanes!

Well, my experience with Hurricanes Katrina and Rita have been quite, well, let's just say they were overrated for the Longview area. For Hurricane Katrina, we had some awesome thunderstorms, and a bit of rain, not so much wind, but clouds. Our dorm (Davis Hall) also hosted about 20-50 evacuees/refugees for a night or two. Then came Rita, which was a lot windier, and a lot rainier (go figure, it was a LOT closer too, like right on top of us). We had a lot more evacuees come this time, the school opened up our small gymnasium (Belcher Gym) to hold up to a hundred, plus the empty floor in our dorm, which can hold around sixty people, I think. So we're sheltering all these people, and LeTourneau's asked students to volunteer to help staff the gym, or to donate matresses and sleeping bags and blankets and toiletries and stuff like that. People who donate matresses, sleeping bags, and blankets and stuff put their name and other info, like their room or CPO number, or their phone extension. I gave them my sleeping bag, because I figured they could put it to better use than just having it up in my closet. It's been a good week though, and I've enjoyed myself, but I guess I should finish my homework now, it's getting late.

No comments: